These are our press releases
Wild Fish Conservancy files suit against NMFS & DOC for ESA violations associated with Mitchell Act funded Columbia River hatcheries
Mar 31, 2016
- WFC filed suit against the NMFS and the DOC for funding hatchery programs throughout the Columbia River Basin under the Mitchell Act without complying with section 7 of the ESA
Five fish conservation organizations file suit against NOAA for failure to complete and implement recovery plan for Puget Sound steelhead
Feb 16, 2016
- Wild Fish Conservancy, a group of five conservation organizations, including The Conservation Angler, International Federation of Fly Fishers, Washington Fly Fishing Club, and Wild Steelhead Coalition filed suit against the National Marine Fisheries Service for failing to complete and implement a recovery plan for Threatened Puget Sound steelhead as required by section 4(f) of the Endangered Species Act.
Wild Fish Conservancy files notice of intent to sue NMFS & DOC for ESA violations associated with Mitchell Act funded Columbia River hatcheries
Jan 13, 2016
- WFC issued a 60-day Notice of Intent to sue the NMFS and the DOC for funding hatchery programs throughout the Columbia River Basin under the Mitchell Act without complying with section 7 of the ESA.
Five fish conservation organizations file notice of intent to sue NOAA for failure to complete and implement recovery plan for Puget Sound steelhead
Dec 08, 2015
- Wild Fish Conservancy files notice of intent to sue NOAA for failure to complete and implement recovery plan for Puget Sound steelhead
Wild Fish Conservancy sues federal agencies for allowing harmful Atlantic salmon net pens in Puget Sound
Nov 04, 2015
- WFC filed legal action against EPA and NMFS for violations of the ESA associated with the agencies’ continued dismissal of the harmful effects to threatened salmonids from commercial Atlantic salmon farms in Puget Sound.
Wild Fish Conservancy, Center for Environmental Law & Policy file legal action to clean-up Leavenworth Hatchery water pollution
Sep 29, 2015
- Wild Fish Conservancy and the Center for Environmental Law & Policy announced they filed legal action to compel the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to clean-up the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery now polluting Icicle Creek.
Environmental Protection Agency & National Marine Fisheries Service Violating Endangered Species Act
Aug 25, 2015
- WFC sent a 60-day Notice of Intent to sue EPA and NMFS for violations of the ESA associated with the agencies’ evaluation of the harmful effects to threatened salmonids from commercial salmon farming in Puget Sound.
Leavenworth Hatchery Violating Endangered Species Act & National Environmental Policy Act
Jul 23, 2015
- WFC filed suit against the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, the United States Bureau of Reclamation, and NOAA Fisheries Service for violations of the Endangered Species Act and National Environmental Policy Act associated with the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery.
Leavenworth Hatchery Violating Clean Water Act
Jul 21, 2015
- WFC and CELP sent a 60-day Notice of Intent to sue to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and Daniel M. Ashe in his official capacity as the Director of FWS for violations of the Clean Water Act (CWA) associated with the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery.
Extreme Water Temperatures & Low Flows in Pacific Northwest Rivers Creating Lethal Conditions for Salmon
Jul 13, 2015
- Groups urge states and NOAA to immediately implement emergency measures that would close all river reaches to all fishing, both recreational and commercial, that exceed 18°C (64.4°F), until water temperatures and flows return to more normal conditions.
Elwha Hatchery Programs Continue To Violate ESA
Jul 18, 2014
- Four conservation groups have filed a 60-day notice letter to three federal agencies as well as officials of the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe’s salmon hatchery alleging violations of the Endangered Species Act.
Leavenworth Hatchery Violating Endangered Species Act
Jul 09, 2014
- Wild Fish Conservancy sent a 60-day Notice of Intent to sue FWS, BOR and BPA for violations of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) associated with the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery.
Rebuild Of 113-Year Old Fish Hatchery Challenged
Jun 04, 2014
- Wild Fish Conservancy appealed a “shorelines substantial development permit” issued by King County for the Tokul Creek State Fish Hatchery.
Lawsuit Settlement Big Advance For Wild Steelhead Recovery
Apr 25, 2014
- Wild Fish Conservancy and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) have settled the lawsuit filed by the Conservancy March 31, 2014.
Washington’s Steelhead Hatchery Programs Violating ESA
Mar 31, 2014
- Wild Fish Conservancy filed suit in federal court today against the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, alleging that the agency’s planting of “Chambers Creek” steelhead in Puget Sound watersheds is in violation of the Endangered Species Act
Court Rules That Elwha Hatchery Releases Violate NEPA
Mar 28, 2014
- A federal court in Tacoma held on Wednesday that federal agencies violated the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) in approving plans to release hatchery fish to the Elwha River.
Court Asked to Stop Elwha Hatchery Releases
Jan 27, 2014
- Preliminary injunction asks the Court to stop planned releases of hatchery coho salmon and steelhead and stop the planned taking of threatened adult steelhead for use as hatchery broodstock.
Steelhead Hatchery Programs Violating ESA
Jan 23, 2014
- Wild Fish Conservancy sent a 60-day notice of intent to sue the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, alleging that the agency’s planting of “Chambers Creek” steelhead in Puget Sound watersheds is in violation of the Endangered Species Act.
Statement from conservation groups who filed objection to MSC certification of southeast Alaskan salmon fisheries
Nov 08, 2013
- Wild Fish Conservancy, SkeenaWild Conservation Trust, Watershed Watch Salmon Society, and Raincoast Conservation Foundation received notice from the “Independent Adjudicator” on Tuesday that their Notice of Objection to the Marine Stewardship Council certification of the Alaskan Salmon fishery had been dismissed.
Conservation Groups Object to Marine Stewardship Council’s “Green Light” to Alaskan Harvest of Endangered Salmon
Oct 30, 2013
- Four conservation groups from two countries have joined forces to launch an official objection to the Marine Stewardship Council’s (MSC) proposed re-certification of Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Restoration Project on Snoqualmie to Restore Natural Processes and Habitats for Salmon and Other Threatened Species
Aug 21, 2013
- Wild Fish Conservancy recently began construction on its Stillwater Floodplain Restoration Project, located within the 456-acre Stillwater Wildlife Unit on the Snoqualmie River between Carnation and Duvall, WA.
Study Indicates Skeena River Once Supported More Than 50 Times More Chum Salmon
Jun 20, 2013
- Results from a study conducted by Canadian and US scientists were published this week, indicating that Skeena River chum salmon were up to 52 times more abundant in the past than at present.
Court Asked To Stop Elwha Hatchery Releases
Nov 21, 2012
- Wild Fish Conservancy, The Conservation Angler, the Federation of Fly Fishers Steelhead Committee, and the Wild Steelhead Coalition asked the US District Court for Western Washington to halt planned releases of hatchery coho salmon and steelhead into the Elwha River until the Court has an opportunity to determine whether the releases comply with the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
Canadian Salmon Inquiry Exposes Agency Conflicts; US Needs Similar Effort
Nov 02, 2012
- The Cohen Commission of Inquiry, an independent group formed to investigate the declining Fraser River sockeye salmon runs, released its final report.
B.C. Legislation Moves to Make Reporting on Disease Outbreaks Illegal and Punishable, While Multiple Salmon Net Pen Disease Outbreaks Occur in Washington and BC
May 25, 2012
- Legislation being proposed by the Liberal British Columbia (BC) government will make it illegal and punishable for a person, including citizens or journalists, to disclose information relating to reportable animal disease in the Canadian province.
WFC and The HSUS File Suit to Stop Illegal Sea Lion Killing at Bonneville Dam
Mar 19, 2012
Interim Agreement Protects Wild Elwha Steelhead From Hatchery Release
Feb 28, 2012
- Interim Agreement Protects Wild Elwha Steelhead From Hatchery Release
Suit Filed To Block Elwha Hatchery Programs
Feb 09, 2012
- Wild Fish Conservancy, The Conservation Angler, the Federation of Fly Fishers Steelhead Committee, and the Wild Steelhead Coalition have brought the suit against the Olympic National Park, NOAA Fisheries Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and representatives of the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe.
BC Cover-up Questions the Dual Mandate of U.S. and Canadian Salmon Management
Nov 30, 2011
- Yesterday a leaked manuscript revealed that the Infectious Salmon Anemia Virus (ISAv) was detected in B.C. as early as 2004, and that Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Canada personnel refused to release the information. This comes just a month after Canadian officials aggressively denied that the virus was present in B.C. and trumpeted their rigorous efforts to detect it and protect native salmon.
WFC Learns of ISAv Detection in B.C. Coho Salmon
Oct 28, 2011
- Wild Fish Conservancy Learns of ISAv Detection in B.C. Coho Salmon
WFC Response to ISAv Detection in B.C.
Oct 18, 2011
- News that Infectious Salmon Anemia Virus (ISAv) was detected in coastal British Columbia sockeye salmon is greatly alarming. The presence of this virus, never before detected in the Pacific Northwest, poses a serious threat to native salmon species that are already in decline or endangered.
Agencies Warned Over Elwha River Fish Hatchery
Sep 16, 2011
- A sixty-day notice letter mailed today to federal and state agencies charges that these agencies are violating the Endangered Species by ignoring best available science and the needs of killer whales and native steelhead by funding a fish hatchery that will impede the recovery of the Elwha River ecosystem.
Feds Revoke Authorization to Kill Sea Lions at Bonneville Dam in Response to Wild Fish Conservancy Lawsuit
Jul 26, 2011
- Feds Revoke Authorization to Kill Sea Lions at Bonneville Dam in Response to Wild Fish Conservancy Lawsuit
Sea Lion Killing Suspended at Bonneville Dam in Response to HSUS/WFC Lawsuit
May 25, 2011
- Sea Lion Killing Suspended at Bonneville Dam in Response to HSUS/WFC Lawsuit
Ninth Circuit Appeals Court Finds “Biological Opinion” For Federal Hatchery “Arbitrary & Capricious”
Dec 09, 2010
- A 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel ruled 2-1 on Tuesday that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service failed to ensure that the salmon hatchery doesn't endanger the tiny remaining bull trout population in Icicle Creek, a tributary of the Wenatchee River.
Lawsuit Over Unpermitted Discharges At National Fish Hatchery Settled
Aug 05, 2010
- A lawsuit filed by Wild Fish Conservancy saying that the Quilcene National Fish Hatchery lacked a federal wastewater discharge was settled last month when the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) agreed to issue a permit and reimburse the group's court costs.
Federal Agencies Must Reconsider Net-pens’ Effects On Puget Sound
Apr 29, 2010
- In an April 28 ruling, the US District Court for the Western District of Washington ruled in favor of Wild Fish Conservancy in a lawsuit the organization brought against the NOAA Fisheries Service and the US Environmental Protection Agency in 2008.
WILD FISH CONSERVANCY SUPPORTS ESA LISTING FOR PUGET SOUND STEELHEAD
May 07, 2007
- A Statement From WFC Executive Director Kurt Beardslee
CONSERVATIONISTS FILE SUIT OVER PUGET SOUND SALMON HARVEST
Oct 10, 2006
- Washington Trout Challenges Current Salmon-Harvest Management
SHORELINE DEVELOPMENT PERMIT FOR PROPOSED SEWAGE PLANT APPEALED
Mar 16, 2006Duvall, WA
- Washington Trout Challenges Treated-Sewage Discharge Into Important Salmon Habitat